The Public Domain Podcast

Great works hand picked for you from the Public Domain and read out loud in a weekly podcast. Authors include Mark Twain, Jules Verne, Edgar Allen Poe and many others. The website also includes links to public domain resources & topics of interest to literary and audiobook fans.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sometimes silent, I play well with other letters; vowels and consonants alike.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

PDP #8 - Bonus - "A Story of Divination" by Lafcadio Hearn

This is a special bonus podcast. I got to thinking that even at the rate of reading 2 chapters per podcast, it would take a number of weeks for me to finish reading a novel. Previously with my selections if you didn't like the story I was reading one week, you had only to wait another to hear something else. With a novel you might be waiting for a month. So I've decided to sprinkle in a bonus Thursday podcast every other week in which I'm involved with a novel. The bonus podcasts however will always be short to give my voice a break ;)

This week I chose to read an excerpt from Lafcadio Hearn's, "In Ghostly Japan" in part due to listener Alexander's request for more Hearn in his comment he left in the blog last week. This story is told by Hearn about an acquaintance of his who in turn told him a story about divination. It mentions the Meiji, a time in Japan where they turned sharply to adopt the trappings of Western Civilization. This story had several Japanese terms which I was not familiar with. I have to thank my friend Jean for help in pronunciations though I'm sure I still butchered a few words. Jean has a store which carries japanese items like her Got Sake? t-shirt if you are in a shopping mood.

On a final note, I was able to record this story in a quieter setting so those who noticed a bit of a humming in past recordings will be happy to note this one is quieter. However, I did not remember to bump up the bit rate so it is still at last week's level. I'll bump it up for next week.

Enjoy the tale and be sure to check in on Monday when I continue reading "The Master of the World" by Jules Verne.

~ e

Technorati tags: ,
Sponsors: OffLine T-shirts and Chessmates


Just a link to claim my Odeo Feed: My Odeo Channel (odeo/d0b98399f8444b36)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home