The Public Domain Podcast

Great works hand picked for you from the Public Domain and read out loud in a weekly podcast. Authors include Mark Twain, Jules Verne, Edgar Allen Poe and many others. The website also includes links to public domain resources & topics of interest to literary and audiobook fans.

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sometimes silent, I play well with other letters; vowels and consonants alike.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Need Opinions

I mentioned at the end of PDP #13 that I used a new microphone; however, I believe I need to work on my microphone technique to get more out of it (I think I stayed too far away from it). So while I hope you still hear an improvement, I think that me having to use a compression filter on the audio files introduced a few problems of its own. Remember I'm a new podcaster so please bear with me as I tweak each show as I learn more and more about how to create them.

I'm also considering creating MP3s at a slightly higher bit rate, which would make the file size bigger. For instance PDP #13 was only 8.5 Mb in size even though it was one of my longer podcasts at about 35 minutes. If I go with a higher rate the file size could jump up to 16 Mb or even 33 Mb.

Is file size a huge consideration for you?

~ e

Technorati tags: ,
Sponsors: OffLine T-shirts and Chessmates

7 Comments:

Blogger Administrator said...

Sounds good, great job.

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't increase the bit rate. I live in a rural area and am stuck with dial-up. Small file size is very important to me. 32kbps, 22khz, mono is perfect for a voice podcast. Anything higher is a waste of bandwidth.
Keep up the good work!

8:02 AM  
Blogger e said...

Thanks for the feedback steelworx and steve.

I like the smaller file size too so I think I will keep it at 32kbps or if I do increase it I will still offer the smaller size as the main feed.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Administrator said...

Good deal.
So, we going to get spooky for Halloween?

8:35 PM  
Blogger Sid said...

Just so you know some of the main podcast novel's like Scott SIgler's EarthCore crank out their's at 33mb or bigger for sound sake. Most like me have a compression filter program so we can shrink it later if we choose. So you may want to think about upping the grade on your end.

4:26 AM  
Blogger e said...

Steelworx, yep Sid suggested a Hodgson story awhile back and so I'll be doing that for Halloween which I noticed falls on a Monday. I'll aim for having it up in the morning so you can enjoy it during the day, it's appropriately spooky I think.

Note taken on the quality Sid.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just found your site and want to start listening on my ipod. Can see where you get the current post for a book but how do you get the earlier posts for the book on an ipod.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home